   RE: [xml-dev] XSLT syntax (was: Re: What niche is XQuery targeting?)

> That's not to throw cold water on the idea: To paraphrase Alan Kay,
> rather than try to predict when W3C will do such a thing, invent it:
> propose a non-XML syntax for some subset of XSLT; prototype it
> yourself, start a mailing list to discuss it (you can bootstrap it
> here), whatever.  Look at similar ideas such as XSLScript
> http://www.pault.com/XSLScript/  (Come back, Paul T, we miss you, all
> is forgiven! )

This has been done: apart from Paul's efforts, there is also Ed Willink's
NiceXSL at

http://nicexsl.sourceforge.net/

The fact that there have only been three downloads in the last week gives
some clue as to the level of demand for such a beast. But by all means try
it, especially if you are one of those people who have never used XSLT
because you decided the surface syntax was too ugly. Yes, I freely admit
that such people exist.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/