   Basic XSD question

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Basic XSD question
  • From: "Robert Soesemann" <rsoesemann@sapient.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:27:12 +0100

Hello,

I have a quite basic question, but I could find a solution.

How can I define in XMLSchema that an element should provide a text
value? When I validate the following XML with the XSD I get no error,
because the empty string seems to be a valid string as well.

XML:
----
<root>
	<a></a> <-- if a is <a> is included it should have an xs:string
text node
	<a></a> <-- a second <a> is also not allowed
</root>

XSD fragment:
-------------
	<xs:element name="root">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:choice maxOccur="1"> <-- why does it not
invalidate the second <a>?
				<xs:element name="foo" type="xs:string"
minOccurs="1" />
			</xs:choice>