   RE: [xml-dev] Basic XSD question

Use the "minLength" facet, with minLength equal to 1.

> When I validate the following XML with the XSD
> I get no error, because the empty string seems to be a valid
> string as well.

Yes, because the default for minLength is 0. The behavior you see is
therefore the expected behavior.

> XML:
> ----
> <root>
> 	<a></a> <-- if a is <a> is included it should have an
> xs:string text node
> 	<a></a> <-- a second <a> is also not allowed </root>
>
> XSD fragment:
> -------------
> 	<xs:element name="root">
> 		<xs:complexType>
> 			<xs:choice maxOccur="1"> <-- why does
> it not invalidate the second <a>?

Because you've placed the maxOccurs facet on the choice, not on the
individual element - if you intend to restrict element <foo> to one
occurrence max, the maxOccurs facet has to be an attribute of the
<xs:element> element. You may also not want to use a choice there, since
there is only one possible value.

Hope that helps--

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World