   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

>On Dec 9, 2004, at 10:49 PM, Daniela Florescu wrote:
>
>>>No, for XQuery that's not obvious it all.
>>
>>!?
>>
>>It might not be obvious to you, but that was definitively clear for
>>my previous employer (BEA Systems) and more importantly
>>it is clear for my current employer (Oracle Corporation).
>
>Lots of things that big companies think are important turn out to be
>disappointing.  Your current employer, if I recall correctly, was at
>one point telling the world that video-on-demand was the key
>application on the "Information Superhighway", and has repeatedly
>decreed that the time for Network Computers had come.  And Oracle
>isn't especially stupid, it's just that sometimes big-company bets
>are wrong.  Think of OSI networking, Ada, the Fifth Generation
>project, Blackbird, Bob, and so on and so on.
>
>XQuery will be a success when people start using it in large numbers
>because it solves their problems.  Which could very well happen,
>but, as I said, it's not "obvious".  -Tim

Maybe that's the reason why the majority of major technical
innovations come from small business. There's more of them, more
flexible in taking advantage of opportunities, less decision
mechanisms to be considered, and less to lose when wrong.

My advice, don't look where everyone's looking for innovation.

tedd
http://sperling.com/