From: Tom Bradford [mailto:tbradford@openlinksw.com]
Sent: Sun 12/12/2004 9:04 AM
To: Tim Bray
Cc: Daniela Florescu; 'XML Developers List'
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

My guess is that the reason why XQuery hasn't yet taken the world by
storm is that it hasn't overwhelmingly made its case as to why it's
better than XSLT.  XSLT has been out there for a while, and has gone
through its rounds of refining the tools that back it up.  It may also
be somewhat confusing to the world why the same body pushes two
different languages for doing pretty much the same thing.  Some of us
know why, but most of us, searching for a solution to our problems at
hand, will undoubtedly find the number of specifications and choices
daunting.

This has always been a problem with the XML Query activities at the W3C.
  It's probably complicated more by the looooooooooooooooooong process
of getting the final specifications out, and the perception by the world
at large that those specifications never seem to be 'quite finished'.

Personally, I like the declarative model, but the vast majority of
developers don't, which leaves me bewildered as to why XSLT still
remains more popular than XQuery.  Maybe it's just a matter of properly
marketing the two solutions to their target audiences instead of making
them available as a mish mosh of bloatage, and hoping that the consumer
will be able to sort it all out for themselves?

--
Tom Bradford - Virtuoso Technology Evangelist
OpenLink Software: http://www.openlinksw.com/