   RE: [xml-dev] XML Vocabularies for Large Systems - 3 Philosophically Dif

Interesting question:

1.  By observation (personal) very large complex vocabularies typically
get the lowest overall reuse as a complete set.

2.  Where large complex vocabularies are applied, they tend to get
broken down into simpler subsets.   One might inquire how composable
such subsets are with subsets from other very large complex vocabularies?

3.  Even small simple vocabularies will overlap other vocabularies and
then the user has to determine how to factor these.  If your example
included a names vocabulary, one has to determine:

a.  Cultural dependencies (eg, name order, vary by location and
jurisdiction)
b.  Generalizable elements (eg, is name one big field, or three, or more)
c.  Are they semantically the same (eg, a business name and a person name)?

4.  A single vocabulary used in many ways such as RSS or HTML are cool
insofar as screen or eye-ball budget but as a structure or namespace,
they aren't as effective for indexing and shredding into smaller reusable
chunks that are semantically coherent (in other words, user query friendly).

So vocabulary merging is THE issue.    There is the application level
which is portal based, and the language level which is namespace-based
and semantically-entangled.

Any of these approaches works, and all of them fail.   They factor according

to users/declarations/semantics.

len