   Re: [xml-dev] [newbie] Mapping a Map 101?

> however, my atavistic dislike of angle brackets took over and I ended up
> removing all the structural information specific to a dictionary:

That's probably the wrong way to use XML.

> I'm not sure if I follow this line of reasoning... after all, the
> "raison d'être" of an element is to provide meta-data about the
> content.

Sure.  Is it more important that the value of an integer, or that the
value is, well, a value?

 >.. should attributes be viewed as meta-data about the content or
> the element itself?

Welcome to an xml-dev permathread.

> What's the benefit of using an element attribute to define the type
> versus using a different element altogether?

Generic tools and xpath expressions, etc., only have to know about one
tag.  "All entries with the value 10" -- do you care if it's a string or
an int?

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect