   Re: [xml-dev] [newbie] Mapping a Map 101?

On Dec 13, 2004, at 15:17, Elliotte Harold wrote:

>> Ok. Why would relying on such relationships be a "bad" thing though?
>> What are the benefits of introducing an <entry> tag in the <dict>
>> structure?
>
> 1. Most APIs/languages/tools such as XSLT can much more conveniently
> operate on the parent-child relationship than the sibling
> relationship.

I see. So generally speaking, explicitly "normalizing" the data is
mostly beneficial for the processing tools?

Would a fully "spelled out" structure like the following make it easier
for XSLT to process? Or is that "over-normalized"?

<dict>
     <entry>
	    <key>
		    <string>aKey</string>
	    </key>
	    <value>
		    <integer>101</integer>
	    </value>
     </entry>
</dict>

> 2. It's more extensible. For instance, you could extend the entry
> approach to include multi-valued keys and valueless keys quite easily.

Yep. Make sense.

Thanks!

Cheers,

PA.