   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery collections [What niche is XQuery targeting?]

No, I'm very aware of this, though a question non-member's actual clout
in the process considering everything I know about the group's inner
workings.

The fact is that even the grammar exposed by SiXDML (along with
associated suggestions for performing joins) is a better approach to
querying collections.  It represents collections as tangible paths,
still leaving the flexibility of resolution to the vendor.

Just seems that for a language that is repeatedly said to be designed
with XML databases in mind, having only one very abstract tie to an
amorphous concept makes it minimally useful as a general manipulation
language for use by xml database developers.

This is an opportunity for the WG to eat W3C dog food, but do it for a
reason.  Perhaps a requirement of the argument to the collection
function should be that the location must minimally yield a document
with an rdf list of associated resources, if the engine is capable of
producing such a list, which I'm inclined to believe that most will be.

--
Tom Bradford - Virtuoso Technology Evangelist
OpenLink Software: http://www.openlinksw.com/