   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:43:12 -0800, Ronald Bourret
<rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Robie wrote:
> > Tom Bradford wrote:
> >> The XQuery implementation that I participated in was meant for
> >> transforming messages in an orchestration engine.

> > Doesn't seem like the best niche to me. Data integration scenarios are
> > probably the best niche,

>  the results largely agree with Jonathan. Translating messages
> was rarely mentioned.

I'm missing something here -- "translating messages" is pretty much at
the core of "data integration scenarios".   XQuery lets you do that as
part of the query on a data source, and XSLT encourages more of a
message pipeline approach, I guess.  Ultimately they have
approximately the same capabilities, and the same challenges .