From: Tom Bradford [mailto:tbradford@openlinksw.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:40 AM
To: Rich Salz
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] draft-rsalz-qname-urn

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but this document
doesn't take into account the nature of XML Schemas, and the potentially
for the same name to exist more than once in a Schema with a different
meaning depending on its context.  Granted, it's bad style to design a
schema in such a way, but it definitely happens.

For example:
<MyInfo xmlns="http://blah.com";>
    <name>Tom</name>
    <address>
       <address1>123 Main Street</address1>
       <city>Virginia Beach</city>
       <state>VA</state>
    </address>
    <host_info>
       <address>192.168.2.30</address>
    </host_info>
</MyInfo>

My point being that the element 'address' appears twice in this document
under the same namespace, and with two contextually different meaning,
which according to some schema may be perfectly legal.  How would I
define a URN to explicitly talk about one or the other?

--
Tom Bradford - Virtuoso Technology Evangelist
OpenLink Software: http://www.openlinksw.com/