   Re: [xml-dev] Amazon Books on XML

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Amazon Books on XML
  • From: Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:04:26 -0500

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:38:02 -0500, tedd <tedd@sperling.com> wrote:

> Please note that Amazon says: "Customers interested in this title may
> also be interested in"
>
> SnagAJob: Wal-MArt Jobs.
> Search & Apply for Jobs AT Wal-Mart and Sam's Club
> Does Amazon know something we don't?

<ChokingOnCoffee/> :-)

Oh, we KNOW that the world needs the Semantic Web to solve this
problem.  Someday.  Real Soon Now....

I guess the serious question is whether the cost of a  few laughable
failures of the heuristic algorithms outweighs the cost of  building
ontologies maintaining a lot of semantic metadata in the instances?
My guess is "no", by a couple orders of magnitude.

Of course the cost-benefit calculation would be very different for a
military system or a mission-critical enterprise system.