   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

  • To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?
  • From: "Prakash, Prakash Yamuna, Yamuna" <techpy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:38:27 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Daniela Florescu <dflorescu@mac.com>, XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

I am looking at from a purely grammar perspective (and not the specifics that are relevant in the context of WebDav).

Suppose we have emails which are XML documents and we have such an archive (thus acting as a repository of XML documents) and we want to query over such a repository - the query language in such a case would be much different since it more oriented towards text based search.

If we look at the the DASL BNF we see at a high level it has the "select", "from", "where", "orderby", etc but some of the operators are different.

Note that DASL itself is still a "Basic language for Text Search" i.e. it does not incorporate some of the advanced features of text search.

It does have some rich features as in handling document revisions, etc - that may not be very relevant to XQuery per se.

The key point is an XML database may have XML documents which are data oriented and where the type system is very important, but an XML database may also be document oriented where the type system itself may not be too important but other aspects become important.

The database community has traditionally differentiated the two usecases and with good reason; but if XQuery claims to be a query language for XML repositories then I would think it has to go someways in addressing the document oriented XML repositories.

prakash

Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com> wrote:
Prakash, Prakash Yamuna, Yamuna wrote:
> I wonder if XQuery will try to incorporate certain aspects of DASL?

What would you want it to incorporate, and why?

Jonathan