   Re: [xml-dev] A Systematic Approach to using Simple XML Vocabularies to

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:41:29 +0100, J.Pietschmann <j3322ptm@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> > I need to make this a little clearer: syntax doesn't matter __if
> > you're careful__.
>
> Perhaps in other words: Syntax doesn't matter unless you try
> to express semantics by a certain syntax (i.e. syntax implies
> semantics). Most of the EDI-formats I've seen attempt the latter.

Certainly that's part of the issue: if you commit to a Schema up front
then syntax matters since you've started to describe the semantics for
a given syntax (element).

The other thing to figure out is how to do generic processing on
everything.  For example in an XSLT you don't look for element names,
you look for other distinguishing attributes (type or such).  That's
likely a given for any non-XSLT code (eg. Java), but similar issues
apply on that side of the fence...

--
Peter Hunsberger