   Re: [xml-dev] A Systematic Approach to using Simple XML Vocabularies to

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:19:40 -0500, John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger scripsit:
> > >
> > > Perhaps in other words: Syntax doesn't matter unless you try
> > > to express semantics by a certain syntax (i.e. syntax implies
> > > semantics). Most of the EDI-formats I've seen attempt the latter.
> >
> > Certainly that's part of the issue: if you commit to a Schema up front
> > then syntax matters since you've started to describe the semantics for
> > a given syntax (element).
>
> Every syntax implies some semantics, or there would be no point in having
> syntax: we could just concatenate the content-bits in alphabetical order
> and try to guess what it was all about:  "alice, bob, charlie, hates,
> loves, peggy".

Sorry if I didn't give enough detail for you to see where I was going
with this (it's a little hectic around here).  Perhaps I should have
saidn "then the syntax matters more", and gone into more detail?  The
issue is: certain syntaxes carry with them more semantics than others;
if you're modeling you want to make sure the semantics are correct
before you commit to them....

> > The other thing to figure out is how to do generic processing on
> > everything.  For example in an XSLT you don't look for element names,
> > you look for other distinguishing attributes (type or such).
>
> All that means is that you are generic about element names but specific
> about types.  Now types are either specified by name (xsi:type), or are
> determined by examining the child elements and attribute values in ways
> that involve names.  There's no such thing as generic-processing-all-the-way-down,
> any more than the world can really be held up by turtles all the way down.

Would you argue that RDF can'd be used to describe RDF?

Again, perhaps I should have been clearer: given that many of these
patterns are recursive they more-or-less can be "generic all the way
down" (I don't believe your analogy has any relevance).  For parts of
this you don't really need to assume any type up front.

--
Peter Hunsberger