   OASIS Systematic Approach to using Simple XML Vocabularies to ImplementL

Roger,

I would point out that OASIS has several TC's that have been working very
hard on this problem for more than a couple of years now.

OASIS is also running a Symposium in April 2005 in New Orleans on this
very topic area.

Can I suggest that instead of re-inventing the wheel - that you look to
use what
is already available.  Let me give you a quick check list here to the
OASIS work:

1) Address vocabulary alignment - OASIS CIQ TC and the UPU work.
2) Systematic approach - CEFACT CCTS work and the implementation
     in OASIS UBL TC.  The OASIS BCM TC work on vocabularies.
3) Registry tools for storing artifacts such as nouns - ebXML Registry - and
     see the work NIST is doing with HL7 RIM for formalized approach to
     information representation in a CoI domain - namely HL7.
4) Noun representations - OASIS CAM TC and Registry SCM committee
     work - open means to capture runtime executable semantic rules in
     syntax such as XSD, RELAX, CAM, XSLT,et al for re-usable nouns
     (in CCTS parlance these are CC, BIE, ABIE, ACC, etc).
5)  Formalized content assembly and validation services using XML
scripts and
      founded on simply existing W3C specifications - XML 1.1, XPath 1.0 -
      OASIS Content Assembly Mechanism (CAM) TC  and the jCAM
      implementation.
6) OASIS BPSS TC work on V2 - which includes ability to manage
     business context as part of the business process models (critical for
     providing context to information as part of the systematic approach to
      knoweledge exchange.

There are also several projects being done today that are bringing
together all
this OASIS work - notably the UK Gov Registry work, the UN/CEFACT
decision to standardize on ebXML Registry V3.0 as the foundation for
their global federated registries, and the HL7 work I noted above.  Also
noteworthy is the work the EU funded ARTEMIS project is doing too in
collaboration with several OASIS TCs.

Cheers, DW