   Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML (WAS: More on taming SAX (was Re: [xm

On Monday 27 December 2004 20:00, Daniela Florescu wrote:

> Could you guys please try to clarify for me the answer to
> the following question: instead
> hand coding steaming applications using SAX, couldn't you
> write some XQuery code (with external functions probably)
> to do the same thing ? Did you try at least ? Did you try
> and fail ? If yes, why did it fail ?

Funny, I was just discussing why this might be with someone
from work an hour ago. My perspective is not that valid,
being an implementor more often than a user, but our
conclusion was this is as much about practical issues than
technical. The main problems being the relatively poor
integration between the programming languages of choice and
XQuery/XSLT and lack of interesting implementations in easy
to use component form.

I am personally starting to think there is a very real hole
between standard OM based XPath and the top end all singing
and dancing XML processing solutions. One that perhaps a
re-factored XPath 1.0 would fit in much better than
anything else I can think of.

Kev.