   Re: [xml-dev] performant templating language for XML

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 03:03:32PM -0800, Nathan Young wrote:
> *** XQuery is not a templating language
> I have no idea if I'm going to encounter disagreement with this idea or
> not.  Everything I've seen of XQuery suggests that the results of a query
> could be sent to a formatting engine that would apply a template to them,
> but not that XQuery would in itself be used to apply formating to a
> document.  I know that a previous thread asserted that XQuery can
> technically do anything XSL can do, but using it as a templating language
> looked to me like lining up camels and needles in an un-fun way.

I've certainly used it as a templating language.  One major limitation
is that XQuery doesn't have an HTML output method, only XML, but in
practice impelemntations are able to generate browser--friendly XHTML,
e.g. with the required space before /> in an empty element.

The trick for me was to prepend some function definitions in a wrapper,
so I could call them in the main document, which looked like
  <head>
    <title>{$title}</title>
  </head>
    <h1>Results</h1>
    {
        for $i in findMatches()
	return thumbnail($i)
    }

I dont know if I'd necessarily recommend this -- it depends on the
sort of people writing and maintaining the templates.  But there
are certainly XQuery implementations that can be called as servlets,
e.g. Qizx/open -- see http://www.w3.org/XML/Query for more.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/