   RE: [xml-dev] performant templating language for XML

> Now on to my assertions:
>
> *** XSL is not performant
> When answering requests, a templating language that forces
> the document in
> its entirety to be held in memory quickly hits load limits.  My
> understanding is that XSLT either cannot be streamed or current
> implementations are not optimized to stream when appropriate
>
> Initial tests seem to show that XSL is a no-go in the load
> environment
> outlined above. Does anyone have production experience that
> would argue
> that XSL can be viable at these rates and that we should be
> looking harder
> for optimization strategies?

Delivering ten 80K transformations per second is well within XSLT's
capabilities. There's certainly no memory problem when your documents are as
small as this. If your "initial tests" are not delivering this performance,
look more carefully at

(a) your choice of XSLT processor (many people start with Xalan-J which is
probably the slowest available)

(b) the efficiency of your XSLT code

(c) the execution framework for scheduling the transformations.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/