   Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML (WAS: More on taming SAX (was Re:[xml-dev] A

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 14:57 -0800, Daniela Florescu wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> >  Unfortunately, the ones who do not call in the
> > consultants simply conclude that XML is too slow and abandon it
> > completely.
>
> I find this REALLY, REALLY unfortunate. Here we are,
> back in the early days of SQL, where people didn't believe that they
> can get
> decent performance unless they hard code their files/indexes management
> by hand,
> or in the early days of Java, where you couldn't get a decent
> performance
> unless you hard code your memory management by hand..... that's sad...
>
> How is that  some people cannot trust that XML/XSLT/XQuery performance
> WILL come?
> Performance always comes when there is a need for it.

Nonsense.  SQL has been out for decades, and I still cannot trust
performance when I "do the right thing".

There is a reason why DBAs with wizard tuning skills can charge a kings
ransom for their services.

If XQuery goes down the path of promising the sort of "app goes poof"
panacea that Relational wonks have spent decades promising, you're
already doomed.  Developers know better.  They're not buying.

> Moreover, even if the performance would NOT be comparable (which I
> doubt anyway but...),
> the difference in  productivity is SO big.....

No its not, and for a sufficient wager I'm willing to put my code where
my mouth is.  I'm sure I can win a "productivity" bake-off using
available Python/XML tools any day against any XQuery machine.  I can
say the same for most of my colleagues.

I'm sure everyone thinks their own tools are most productive.  You might
as well leave such vague and useless claims out of the debate.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Full XML Indexes with Gnosis - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/08/py-xml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286
UBL 1.0 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think28.html