   Re: XSLT2 - which parts solve real 1.0 problems, which makes coffee? - w

"Michael Champion" <michaelc.champion@gmail.com> wrote in message
e3a5cb2c041230131755a2c0dc@mail.gmail.com">news:e3a5cb2c041230131755a2c0dc@mail.gmail.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:06:54 -0500, David Megginson
> <david.megginson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  XSLT 2.0 apparently
>> gives neck massages, makes coffee, and does your taxes as well as
>> transforming XML documents.
>
> Going off on a tangent here ... that is a subject which intrigues me.
> It is clear that much of XSLT2 really does offer simpler ways of doing
> things that are possible but tedious in XSLT 1.  It's hard to know,
> before XSLT 2 gets into people's hands and the wheat and chaff get
> sorted out by experience, which parts reflect the the voice of
> experience, and which parts are "second system syndrome".  Anyone want
> to offer opinions?

Definitely the best new features are:
       xsl:function
       the sequence type (this is actually XPath 2.0, not XSLT) (although
still not able to express sequence items that are sequences themselves)
                                   (although convenient to use only "on the
fly" -- cannot be conveniently persisted as xml)

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev