   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT2 - which parts solve real 1.0 problems, whichmakes co

> > Going off on a tangent here ... that is a subject which intrigues me.
> > It is clear that much of XSLT2 really does offer simpler ways of doing
> > things that are possible but tedious in XSLT 1.  It's hard to know,
> > before XSLT 2 gets into people's hands and the wheat and chaff get
> > sorted out by experience, which parts reflect the the voice of
> > experience, and which parts are "second system syndrome".  Anyone want
> > to offer opinions?
>
> The bit we've used so far has been for two reasons: xPath 2 iteration
> support ( every $x in...) and regular expression support.  Simplified
> nodeset handling is good, we sometimes run Saxon in 1.1 mode for that,
> but having it blessed is better.

I think you've nailed some of the best bits in XSLT2.  I'd throw in
grouping primitives, multiple output and user defined functions as well.

Then I can't help noticing that all of this thumbs-up list except for
XPath2 iteration is available in EXSLT.

I so wish that XSLT 2 had been nothing but the above plus enough minor
tweaks in XPath 1.0 to support iteration.  I wish the rest had been left
to an XSLT 3.0.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Full XML Indexes with Gnosis - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/08/py-xml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286