   Re: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML)

Benjamin Franz wrote:

> I'm of the opinion that software is where engineering was about a
> century ago: In demand, unregulated, and open to anyone who wants to
> call themselves a 'programmer', regardless of skill or training.
> Disasters directly traceable to poor 'engineering' by people with
> neither skill or training killed a number of people and laws were passed
> restricting who can legally call themselves an 'engineer'.

I agreed with you up to here. No doubt there are terrible programmers
out there, but poor engineering is usually a symptom of something else.
I'd speculate that most poor software is not down to poor engineering
but because software projects are rarely predicated on the amount of
work to be done.

cheers
Bill