   Re: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev]Streamin

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev]Streaming XML)
  • From: Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:05:20 +1100
  • References: <E1CkRTZ-0005Gz-00@ukmail1.eechost.net> <Pine.LNX.4.61.0412311121310.19725@high-mountain.nihongo.org> <20041231210320.GC21192@maribor.izzy.net> <Pine.LNX.4.61.0412311304000.19725@high-mountain.nihongo.org> <20050101021043.GB22189@maribor.izzy.net> <Pine.LNX.4.61.0412311824030.24614@high-mountain.nihongo.org> <Pine.LNX.4.61.0412311901310.24614@high-mountain.nihongo.org> <41D6BA41.5000303@propylon.com> <e3a5cb2c050101091940c61686@mail.gmail.com>

i think a better example than the airplane one discussed here, is the
vibrating bridge that destoyed itself in high winds, or any of the
amazing engineering feats in the recently shown tv series (brooklyn
bridge, panama canal, etc).

the reason i say this is that they all have the elements that are
important - money, politics, disaster, engineering (somewhere). but most
importantly the results of the successes and failures all fed into the
engineering education systems and are passed on by the institutions to
each new generation of engineers. learning by magazine or experience (or
even a few good books) will never replace the disciplined study of a
formal education at the university of technical level. mainly because
those who design the courses (hopefully) make sure that your education
is broad and covers areas that you wouldn't normally follow if you just
pursued your interests.

the challenge remains to develop and maintain software engineering and
computer science courses that do the same (i know there's lots out
there, i've been through the system) and the incentive for young
prospective software people to undertake them. maybe professional
licencing and liability would be a good idea.

my own experience is that it can be difficult to introduce programmers
to xml technologies because they see it as yet another language to learn
and they're happy with what they've got. without suitable education on
their part it can be difficult to find a common language to explain the
benefits and other reasons for our approach. the same problems exist in
the rdbms world and even in the c world.

rick