   Re: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev]Streamin

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

>* Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> [2005-01-01 20:46]:
>

>>Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>>

>>>* Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> [2005-01-01 19:05]:

>>>  How do you introduce liability? It's hard enough to trace
>>>  program faults, let alone liability.
>>>

>>the lawyers will work that out when they think there's enough money
>>involved.
>>

>    Which is my point. You all keep comparing software to medicine.
>
>    Are you aware of the tort reform debate in medicine right now?

to some extent. as i understand it, it's part of a wider
liability/resposibilty debate. and actually the comparison is with other
service industries - like medicine, law, engineering, accounting,
auditing :(

>>from a liability point of view most engineering firms enjoy some
>>protection - at least from competency issues - by employing licensed
>>engineers and following published standards for safety, quality, etc.
>>

>    Fine. An engineer firm has libabilities that need to be met when
>    they are designing an aircraft.
>
>    Less of a liability when they are designing a payroll program
>    for their engineers.
>
>    Less when still when they are designing a web page to tout their
>    engineer triumphs.
>
>    You think XQuery takes a four year degree to operate? How are
>    you going to deal with me if I practice XQuery without a license?

learning c doesn't take a four year course either. it's par of a three
year computer science course and learned so you can take part in the
compiler and algorithm courses etc. it's not an end in itself. xquery,
xslt, etc and the use of them are tools for other things. learning how
to write generic parsers (xquery, xslt being trgets for the parser) -
now that's a one semester course.

>>don't think i'd like the prospect of defending a liability case without
>>the same basic standards.
>>

>    What is that supposed to mean?

you can build a house without a licence. but if it falls down you could
find yourself in gaol. if it kills someone you are really in trouble.
software has just been lucky so far. we've killed lots of people and
cost billions of dollars, but we've also made trillions (for others) and
managed by and large to stay out of court. mostly that's luck and as
mentioned before, the diffulty of mounting the technical case.