   RE: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streami

Software copes with inputs by classifying them.  Classification
fails when an unidentifiable event enters the pipeline.
Users of classifiers fail when they misidentify an event.
Between the mistakes the user can make and the events that
are not identifiable by the original design are many of the
failures of software engineering.

Issac Newton was an alchemist and a mathematician.
Albert Einstein was a patent clerk and a mathematician.
Note they were considered 'competent' scientists.

BTW:  control system failures in fly-by-wire systems predate
Cali.  The F-111A had a nasty habit when its terrain
following software actions contradicted the reflexes of the
pilot.  The software and the wetware have to cooperate in
any real time system both at the level of inputs and the
acts of recognition.  Because these are dynamic interactions
both in combinatorics and in the capability to produce
unknown-unknowns (new events that are beyond the range
of modeling), the safety margins are statistical, not real.
For that reason, experience is prized.   Indemnity in
design is about making mistakes with knowns, not unknowns.

Still, some statements made in this thread about software
engineering are pertinent particularly if one changes
the title to 'computer scientist' and asks the question,
what of this IS *science*?

Try to sort out the terminology of a profession that
has consistently reinvented its concepts inconsistently
for over fifty years.  If the next century is to produce
something really innovative, it may be a consistent
and maintainable science of applied computer technology.

Or not.  0 or 1.  Choose.  You have a chance of getting
that right.

len