   Re: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streami

  • To: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@nihongo.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] [offtopic] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML)
  • From: Alan Gutierrez <alan-xml-dev@engrm.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:06:47 -0500
  • Cc: 'XML Developers List' <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

* Benjamin Franz <snowhare@nihongo.org> [2004-12-31 22:13]:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> >
> >But assuming the the entire profession doesn't become non-existent, I see
> >little doubt that licensing and legal requirements for the specific title
> >of software engineer (or some similar title) will happen.
>
> To close this topic: Far from being prophetic, I am now speaking
> _historically_. I had not noticed before, but in 1998 the State of Texas
> added 'Software Engineer' to the list of legally licensed Engineering
> specialities.

    So, what? Engineer in the software field is bandided about like
    the word Senior. If Microsoft can create a corp of enginneers
    (certified), than the title has lost meaning.

    What is this fetish for titles?

  ~ Of course a proper engineering degree is worth something and
    necesary for certian positions.

    Yes, the software world has made a mockery of the term engineer,
    just as it has made a mockery of the word technology.

    Just as it is attempting to make a mockery of patent law.

    Is software science? Should it be taught as science?

  ~ You snipped the context of your quote:

    One final recommendation has to do with the title 'Software
    Engineer' If you call yourself a 'Software Engineer', then
    professional engineers feel you come under their auspices.
    /Here is a definition of a software engineer that I got from the
        Internet./

    An uncredited definition that the author got from The Internet.
    The author does in writing his article as engineers do when they
    write software. We are now the thousand monkies at a thousand typewriters.

> <URL:http://www.aitp.org/newsletter/2003julaug/article16.htm>

>    While a programmer creates the codes that make a program run, a
>    software engineer creates the designs the programmer implements.

    Ouch.

    Well, better get back to creating my codes. Please don't tell
    anyone in Texas, but I took the liberty designing them myself.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com