   RE: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] StreamingXML)

True.  Once again around the wheel that is SGML.

I've been researching work where it is suggested
that some network effects should be managed by
the Federal authorities.  Now that the Internet
is being returned to its original mission, that
may have legs.  Those that were in will be out
and those that were out will be in again.  How
perfectly Moebic.

BTW:  I noted your comment on the blog over the
holidays.  XML is imperfect and so is SGML.  What
I am noting is that I am more comfortable with
the XMLers managing the evolution than I was when
it started.  They are finally demonstrating the
experience needed to make better decisions and
so little is left of the SGML community, it can't
manage network effects to pareto optima.  When any
company or organization realizes that say 30% or
more of its members are within five years of
retirement, it has to pass the baton.   In the
case of XML, the baton was wrested perhaps a
bit too early, but that smoothed out.   This
thread is a good example of the new generation
finally confronting the nastier problems they
used to claim weren't important, or one might
say, the final 20% that bites when the missions
become critical.  So far, so good.  They have
to be quicker though.  The Internet as we've
known it is as old as SGML and also on the verge
of being retired and repurposed.

len

From: Arjun Ray [mailto:arjun.ray@verizon.net]

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 02:11 -0500, hhalpin@ibiblio.org wrote:
> Then, it seems at least as XML is concerned, is that those of us who
> think typing is useful (albeit a small minority on this list) would
> like to see some good, extensible type system (although no-one seems
> to have any good ideas on this list)

Time to reinvent notations, perhaps badly.