   Re: [xml-dev] XML Compression (Was RE: [xml-dev] An unclear point with W

* Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com> [2005-01-06 16:31]:
> > The W3C XML Binary Characterization Working Group has the unenviable
> > task of helping W3C decide whether we should be in the business of
> > specifying some sort of efficient way to interchange XML that's
> > different from gzip that HTTP can already use.
>
> I think they (not really we, I don't do much:) are actually doing
> much better then that.  There are three major documents:
> 	Use cases -- who would benefit from binary xml and why,
> 		and what restrictions they place on the format
> 		(e.g., must both sides know the schema?)
> 	Properties -- characteristics to consider for an encoding
> 		(e.g., can you sign it, do random-access, etc)
> 	Measurements -- how to apply the above two and get a weighted
> 		score
>
> Anyone interested in the *concept* of binary XML should really take a look
> at these documents.

    Thank you. That was a past and future direction of mine.

    I didn't mean to start a discussion of compression, however.

    Mine was a noobish question, really, like, am I missing something?

    If the OP is concerned about size. I was wondering why
    compression wasn't an option. It seemed like he was saying that
    all these tags take to long to process, download, or some such,
    but I know that symbol table can fix that.

    You don't have to try and fix the langauge. Maybe I'm being
    naive, but I thought the problem analysis of the OP  was naive.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com