   Re: [xml-dev] A bunch of components, but no mandated organization - reas

Hi.

> The previous also suggests that grammars and protocols are fundamentally
> different; and begs the question as to whether they can be reasonable
> compared.
>
> But let's try another conjecture: "All exchanges require a protocol." If
> there were no protocol, then it would be only luck that caused an
> exchange
> to occur. But maybe luck is ok... So let me modify the above to be: "All
> purposeful exchanges require a protocol." Another: "Exchange protocols
> may
> be implicit as well as explicit." Must protocols be binary? Can't
> protocols
> be unary? Terniary? Etc... Can protocols be passive?

Is this another way of saying that to exchange meaning we need both a
channel for communication and a meaningful context in which the
information exchange can take place.  And I suppose also a way to
interpret the information once we have it, though I'm unclear if that can
be fully decoupled from context.

> Ok... so there must be a protocol, and there may be a grammar (to
> interpret
> the result of the exchange). What happens if you put building debris or
> garden debris out for the trash collector? I'm guessing it wouldn't be
> picked up. Why? Besides a protocol, he uses a "grammar" to interpret
> things
> which you are exchanging.

I heard (I have no idea if this is true) that in Switzerland they use a
special blue garbage bag.  In order for your garbage to be picked up, it
needs to be in one of these bags.  The bags are purchased at sepcial
outlets and the purchase price includes the cost of pickup service.
Pickup for sorted recyclables is free.

I'm going to hazard that the blue bags are part of the protocol, although
to the extent that the garbage collectors perform "validation" based on
bag color, maybe they can be seen as grammar.