   RE: [xml-dev] on-the-wire xml ... Even if you're ...

Strange conversation.

1.  XML is becoming more invisible to the developer because
it is supported atoms-up by the development framework.  I
can't name any mainstream frameworks that don't have XML
support.  The programmer penetration is largely an age
discriminated metric.

2.  XML is visible to the marketeers because they interact
with the proposals people who have to sign off on requirements
for applications support, and both of them have to go beat
on programmers to make sure it is there.

3.  XML is increasingly less important to the marketeers but
increasingly more important to the proposals people.  That
will even out in the medium term because most interactions
by comma delimited are fast becoming XML and that support
is assumed, so, transparent at the higher organizational
levels. In short, you won't make money selling XML itself.
That time is past as well it should be.

4.  Because XML is largely still focused on transactions
(which wasn't the original intent but ok), the more your
business is interacting and scaling, the more XML one sees.
Self-contained businesses (say sell lumber but not information
although they may exchange some and need ebXML) don't make
money on XML.  They MIGHT use it.  Even then, they largely
don't care.

5.  Depending on where your business type is in the chasm
of Internet technologies, you see more or less requirements
for XML.  Our business didn't see any prior to 9/11.  Now
we see A LOT and the rate is increasing.   Wildly, these
requirements are being pushed mostly by smaller companies
trying to do business with big customers.  The larger
principals have waited, probably longer than was smart,
but legacy is the drag on innovation.  You can't mandate a
data schema to thousands of customers with multi-gig databases;
the conversion costs kill.  That is why transactional XML
dominates the current discourse.  That can change but the
pace is glacial in long lifecycle procurements.

XML is alive and well and still meaningless.

len