   Re: [xml-dev] find with XPath over file system

  • To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] find with XPath over file system
  • From: Oleg Paraschenko <usenet@datahansa.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:26:52 +0300
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

  Hi Eric,

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:29:51 +0100
Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> wrote:

> Hi Oleg,

> I like the way you've preferred to match the /bin directory on the
> /bin XPath instead of using some kind of /directory[@name="bin"]
> convention...

  Many XPath tutorials say that "the basic XPath syntax is similar to
filesystem addressing." I decided it was good to keep the analogue.

> However, I am wondering how you deal with filenames that are no valid
> XML names (or that contain colons)...
>
> Can you elaborate on that point?

  The underlying library allows to have anything as XML name, so there
are no problems with the virtual XML tree. More, the name of a file is
duplicated in the "name" attribute, so you can put a test for name into
a predicate: /*[@name='lost+found'].

--
Oleg