   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meet

* Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> [2005-02-02 11:13]:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:57:23 -0500, Alan Gutierrez
> <alan-xml-dev@engrm.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>on topic XSLT in Ant discussion</snip>

    On? Good.

> >  ~ Recently, I offered to provide build scripts for an XML open
> >    source project. When they heard that the process would be.
> >
> >        svn checkout http://foo.com/svn/foo
> >        cd foo
> >        ant -f mix.bootstrap.xml
> >        ant
> >
> >    They rejected it for the third line. And Ant script /should/
> >    just work from checkout.
> >
> >    But for any project of any real size, it doesn't.
> >
> >    Generally, the checkout includes an endoresed ant and a pair of
> >    build.sh, build.bat files that set the system class path,
> >    because Ant classpath directives, for many tasks are defeated by
> >    the $ANT_HOME/lib directory.
>
> Not sure I understand all your issues here, but isn't the common way
> of handling Ant script customization via proprieties files that are
> read in as the first step of the Ant script?  Our scripts have no
> dependencies on environment variables but do define default
> proprieties that can be overridden by user proprieties files.

    No, the issues are class path issues.

    To run Saxon 8 you need to alter the class path, or drop Saxon 8
    in $ANT_HOME/lib, just as you have to drop junit.jar in
    $ANT_HOME/lib to run JUnit tests.

    A default Ant installation will go so far as to defeat JAXP's
    ability to load a user specified TranformerHandlerFactory.

    You are so not going to get the Transformer you want.

    Since these are CLASSPATH issues, the custom build.(bat|sh)
    scripts are necessary to set the CLASSPATH.

    I've avoided them by hacking a copy  of XSLTProcess.

    I put it, and it's minions, in a different package (i.e.
    package com.agtrz.mix.ant;), so the Ant ClassLoader won't load
    them at startup from $ANT_HOME/lib. So that they will load when
    called as part of a <taskdef/> with a <classpath/> specified
    that will point to Saxon 8.2, DOM 3.0, and JAXP 1.3.

    Blah, blah, blah. It wasn't simple. Did my homework.

    Definately not a *.properties versus env issue.

    Thanks, though. :^)

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com