   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meet

  • To: Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meeting in March
  • From: Alan Gutierrez <alan-xml-dev@engrm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:33:07 -0500
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

* Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> [2005-02-02 10:08]:
> Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>

> >    That last bit makes sense.
> >
> >    What everyone is suggesting is either one template to rule them
> >    all, or pipelineing, or a mixture of both.
> >
> >    If I were to release Mix as open source, I'd bill it as a SoC
> >    tool, that simply generates Ant files that are deviod of build
> >    configuration logic, that only contain dependency resolution.
> >
> >    Altough, I've found that even when I offer to do the work
> >    myself, that people have deep reservations against a pure Ant
> >    solution that is not, get this, Maven.
>
> ugghh.
>

> >    In any case, open sourcing a configuration system, I don't know.
> >    Do you really want to troubleshoot other people's builds?
>

> No. I want to Open Source an Ant version of our CMS -- a poor mans
> CMS.  It can be used as an exit strategy for our system, thereby
> not locking anyone into our system (I don't know any system that
> can do that). It can also be used by developers who don't want to
> use our browser based interface. These are selling point to me.

    A nice concept: "an exit strategy for our system."

    How considerate.

> A user of this could run targets to:
>
> - validate all (or some) of a projects XML configuration and content.
> - use XSL to upgrade XML configuration and/or content to the latest
> version - or stick in any unique transforms they want to do
> - use a configuration file that can be transformed into an ant build
> which can be run to generate a project (usually a website). According to
> the configuration, a page can be generated as XHTML, HTML, JSP, text,
> Atom/RSS, AvantGo, print friendly (X)HTML (though we prefer a CSS solution).
> - validate the generated files to ensure that they are, well, valid.
> - to generate and run JUnit/HttpUnit tests to ensure that files are
> found and no other errors, and that the is set up as expected. For
> generated webapps, Cactus test cases can be generated and run.
> - to promote a project through a staging environment DEV -> [QA ->
> CERTIFIED -> ] LIVE. With Ant, this can be a simple copy making use of
> Selectors and/or Sync. Or to SCP/FTP versions to remote servers, but
> this has drawbacks with regard to syncing.

    Mix is supposed to support Java only, and only that subset of
    Java that holds some interest for Alan Gutierrez.

    I'm doing the generation of JUnit tests myself now, as part of
    another project of mine, XFixture. There I intend to dabble in
    FXSL as a means to make software extensible.

    You might consider breaking up your project somewhat. Certian
    bits might be useful in their own right.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com