   Re: [xml-dev] xml 2.0 - so it's on the way after all?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:20:42PM +0200, Toni Uusitalo wrote:
>I guess that's inevitable progress to go and dump the DTDs.
>There must be some research going on that measures when people are
>ready to switch to the alternatives, I've no clue about this thing myself
>(about usage numbers of DTDs or RelaxNG etc.).

For a number of application areas (especially "document" related areas, as
opposed to "data," for whatever that distinction is worth), there is
currently no way to move away from DTDs, because entities cannot be defined
except in DTDs (that's general parsed entities, not parameter entities or
unparsed entities, which have narrower usage/appeal).

At present, there's no apparent activity targeted toward providing an
alternate entity-definition mechanism.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
I have spent nights with matches and knives, leaning over ledges, only