   Re: [xml-dev] xml 2.0 - so it's on the way after all?

I have relatively few problems with the notion of an entity (even a
parameterized entity) being in XML 2.0 - the problem that I have
currently is that the entity mechanism that currently exists is tied
to the DTD world exclusively.  XInclude is not as "elegant" from a
handcrafting standpoint, but from an XML processing standpoint it
makes much more sense, especially in the presence of XPointer.

I personally would prefer to see <x:include href="myUrl#foo"/> over
"&foo;", or at worst some kind of glossary referencing structure a la
XSLT:

<x:entity name="foo">Here's my boiler-plate text</x:entity>
<x:entity name="bar" href='myUrl#bar'/>

<x:ref name="foo"/><x:ref name="bar"/>

The single area where this does prove problematic is in character
references. Even there, if you permit entities, I still think that
their declaration should be something handled as angle-bracket XML:

<x:char-entity name="nbsp" charset="UTF-8" charcode="160"/>

This is a&nbsp;fixed space.

In this case, entities would be limited ONLY to character entities in XML 2.0.

-- Kurt