   Before fragmenting, fix the broken bits first

  • To: "Robin Berjon" <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
  • Subject: Before fragmenting, fix the broken bits first
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:52:04 -0800
  • Cc: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

and I was pointing out an example of the 'W3C to come up with the single

standard that wil solve all our problems' which you display in your next
paragraph below.

> Now if what you meant to say is that the notion that there
> should be one Web instead of a disjoint set of AOL-style
> walled gardens is wrong then I'm unsure where to start
> disagreeing, and also don't see the way in which such a goal
> consitutes a "single standard that will solve all our problems".

Your comments above hint at the real problem. It seems you are equating
the notion of 'one Web' with a 'binary XML Web' which is why people like
ERH are against your efforts.

Instead of using domain specific technologies optimized for that target
domain, various parties want to usurp interoperable text-based XML with
some binary derivation of it. Sometimes I look at efforts like SOAP and
wonder if we wouldn't have all been better off if they hadn't picked
ASN.1 instead. Trying to satisfy the needs of a person editing business
documents with WordML and a developer building distributed applications
using similar toolkits has proven to be a problem no one has quite
figured how to truly solve.  I'd rather see the XML world solve the API
and toolkit problem first before further fragmenting itself into
text-based XML and binary XML.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
New systems generate new problems.