   Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Java open source Schema aware XPath 2.0 processor rel

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:14:57PM -0600, Kenneth Stephen wrote:
>     Whats the intended use case for this? Could it, for instance, be
> used to convert a non-schema aware XSLT 2.0 processor into a schema
> aware version?

This project was undertaken to complete a "Group Project" module at a
university. We just finished and do not plan to continue working on this [at
least in the new future]. However, yes, the base of this project could probably
be extended to cover XQuery and XSLT.

The schema support in our implementation is currently very limited, although the
code is fully designed to work with schema.

>     Also, your document claims that this is the first XPath 2.0 schema
> aware processor. I think the schema aware Saxon processor has already
> achieved that a while back. What am I missing?

Yes Saxon is indeed a great product. The Schema Aware version of Saxon is
commercial and needs a license, whereas the version which is free and opensource
[saxon B], is not schema aware.

To the best of our knowledge, we produced the first OPEN SOURCE schema aware
processor. Again, being a university project and having limited time, our
research was not extensive and we are not the most competent people in the XML
world, so the information we provide may not be totally correct.

However, we did our best =D