   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" mythcome fr

> You place considerably more faith in the W3C process than I do.

Perhaps.  I think the spotlight on this particular aspect of this
particular effort will prevent anything bad from happening.  I am
certainly expect to often be surprised when some WG goes off on their
own. :)  Even widespread knowledge isn't enough to avoid breakage -- who
  knew xml:id break c14n, for example?

> 2. XML 1.1

 From what I can see, there seems to be emerging consensus that this
will be acknowledged as a mistake, if market down-take doesn't leave it
stillborn.  I don't expect perfection; admitting mistakes is good.

> 3. SOAP, specifically the restrictions on the document type declaration
> and processing instructions

I can't speak to PI's, although they have obvious security implications.
Since DTD's can't describe a subset of a document, aren't namespace
aware, and also have security issues ("hey, server, go fetch this
external entity....  just trust me, it's safe"), they shouldn't appear
in SOAP messages.

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect