   Re: [xml-dev] Schemas As Anti-bodies and Dynamical Systems

Hi.

In cases where I've found validation useful, the subset of documents I'm
interested in is a much smaller and more specific set of documents than
the set that I would like to exclude.  This makes "accept if" conditions
easier to define than "reject if" conditions.  I think in general this is
the case and has led to the current state of document validation, but I
agree that it need not always be so.

I think there are actually two closely related questions:
  - do you build a set of documents based on acceptance criteria or
rejection criteria?
  - what do you do with the set of documents you end up with?

Schemas and DTDs tend towards defining a pattern that must match the
document, though I think you could find exclusion cases as well.
Schematron allows you to define an even richer set of "reject if"
conditions.

Once you have the set of documents that validated, you can decide what to
do with those.  Do you accept them? Do you reject them?  Sometimes it
might make more sense to talk about "recognition" rather than "validation".

Virus detection software maintains a set of virus definitions for the
reasons mentioned in the first paragraph; namely that the set of virus
signatures is smaller than the set of valid applications.  So it's doing
traditional document validation in that it is looking for positive
matches, but it uses "validation" as criteria for rejection.

Immunity in biological systems has an extra requirement not generally
present in document management.  On the surface it would seem that if the
immune system could recognize parts of the local system as such, it could
react to anything else as an intruder.  Invading bacteria would be
equivalent to "non-validating documents".

The wrench in the works the immune system faces in "validation" is that
the cases are not bound.  Immune cells need to apply the criteria to a
case it cannot evaluate in entirety.  So rejection is the only criteria
the immune system can apply for security reasons.  It's too easy for an
intruder to carry adequate validation conditions along with an evil hidden
payload.

In reality, the immune system looks for a very large set of recognized
intruders, applying a large set of positive matching criteria.
Immunizations provide an addition to this set of criteria.

This is in an environment where extensive filtering has already gone on.
The skin is a very restrictive filter, and the digestive system less
restrictive but still very effective.  How to extend this metaphor to
document management?

--->N