   RE: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing"

> You talk about the benefits of an "object model neutral"
> XPath API, yet
> provide no examples of how any object model other than W3C DOM might
> work. DOM already provides its own XPath API, and I'm
> guessing that by
> promoting the JAXP version you believe it's a better solution. Could
> you provide any reasons for us to use and/or implement both
> APIs? What
> other object models might be supported, and if they're so important,
> why does JAXP not have core support for them?

JAXP is an interface, not an implementation (something that the Sun people
who packaged it for release sadly forgot.)

Saxon includes an implementation of the JAXP 1.3 XPath and validation APIs,
supporting four different object models: DOM, JDOM, XOM, and Saxon's
NodeInfo model. The benefit is that it enables you to write an application
that can access any of these models.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/