   Re: [xml-dev] Dynamically generating Java 'wrapper' class for XML

Bob Foster wrote:

> Isn't there a problem with the example? The document has two asset
> elements within the quote element (probably could have any number),
> yet your hypothetical getAssetName() method seems to assume only one
> asset.
>
> Other than that, your general approach (generate with JAXB, use
> introspection over the generated classes to produce a wrapper class)
> is probably ok, just not as simple as you may suppose. First thing to
> do is generate some code with JAXB from your schema and read the
> generated code.

I have been using JAXB and before that Castor XML for generating Java
Binding classes from XML Schema and using them to reliably process and
generate XML for several years in the freebXML Registry open source
project [1]. I have found XML Data Binding in general and JAXB in
particular to be a huge time saving and the generated code to be solid
and reliable. I have been told by some that they prefer using SAX/DOM
the old fashioned way for XML processing for performance reasons. I have
not found any practical issues with performance using a JAXB based
approached. I highly recommend JAXB for XML processing and generation.

<disclaimer>
I work for Sun but the opinions expressed are my own and reflect
personal open source development experience.
</disclaimer>