   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 03:20 am, Rick Marshall wrote:
> not all databases are backward enough to store dates and numbers in
> binary format

Sorry to put you on the spot rick, but which ones don't?

I thought most modern databases use a floating point to store datetimes with
the non-decimal part denoting the day and decimal part denoting the time.

> and you don't necessarily save space in binary formats either - been
> there before too.

A few bytes possibly, not enough to make it worthwhile.

In fact I would assert that a text format:

 Soccer_kickoff@=2005-02-28 T 11:30 AM -10:00

is pretty compact and succinct.

28 bytes of date/time text compared to 8 bytes in a binary format but with
no readability. I don't think that is too bad.

but times are not as often transmitted as dates.

 balance_payable@=2005-03-15

In most business data transfer systems, I think dates get transferred a lot
more than times. But obviously, having a field type that does both is a
fairly trivial thing.

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.