   Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing"

Neeraj Bajaj wrote:

> Validation APIs accept Source as input and the same is true for
> Transformer. So it is possible to provide support for other object model
> for ex. JDOM.

That's not really true. The Source interface does not have close to
enough functionality to allow it to be used as input to a transform or
validation or  anything else. The whole interface is two methods,
getSystemId() and setSystemId(). There's so little useful functionality
here one wonders why they bothered with a separate interface at all.

The only way engines work with sources is by specifically recognizing
them as SAXSources or DOMSources. JDOMSource is a subclass of SAXSource.
It does not really implement a JDOM-native source.

If validation and transformation APIs were really prepared to accept a
Source as input, then I could pass in a JDOMSource or a XOMSource thatch
correctly implemented javax.xml.transform.Source but did not subclass
SAXSource or DOMSource and expect it to work.