   Re: [xml-dev] Why associate an attribute with a namespace ?

Hey.

>     Namespace are necessary for elements, there is no doubpt about it.
> But an
> attribute only has meaning embedded in an element. Namespaces allows you
> uniquely identify elements. From elements you can reach the attributes.
> You
> cannot access the attributes without their enclosing element anyway.
>
>     Let me put the problem from another perspective: is it useful to have
> element A in namespace AAA and its attribute B in namespace BBB ?

Check out xlink and RDF.  Both are structured so that you can add
attributes to existing documents without interfering with the way they are
processed by existing applications.

You might want to do this either to use a variety of pre-existing systems
together in a modular way, or to add functionality to an existing
applications/format without breaking backwards compatibility.