   RE: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on

  • To: "Elliotte Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>,"XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing")
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:41:50 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

>It is, I admit, a hard problem. I suspect it could be solved for
tree-based models by defining some sort of interface based on the XPath
data model.

What you've described is akin to the IXPathNavigable interface which is the primary input of the XslTransform class that Michael Kay was deriding. The other input overloads to the method are primarily for usability (XmlReader, string, etc) as opposed to being an implication that there is some fundamental missing abstraction in the .NET model.

I'm actually quite disappointed in Michael Kay for (i) defending what is obviously a horribly broken interface (i.e. Source)and (ii) deriding the .NET model as flawed without taking the time out to understand the problems it is trying to solve.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
The road to to success is always under construction.