   RE: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on

  • To: Bill de hÓra <bill.dehora@propylon.com>,"Elliotte Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing")
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:21:03 -0800
  • Cc: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

I find it interesting you claim this when in other responses to this thread Elliote has basically been discussing porting the .NET model to Java (streaming abstraction = XmlReader, tree model abstraction = IXPathNavigable). A model where I can implement an API that accepts an interface yet still have to mess around with casting indicates that there is a missing abstraction (i.e Source). On the other hand it seems you have confused the existence of multiple abstractions to deal with multiple use cases (streaming vs. in-memory XML, text output vs. xml output) as some sort of flaw in the .NET design.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item, after you've bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper.