   Re: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on

  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing")
  • From: Prakash Yamuna <techpy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:18:43 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: dareo@microsoft.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Agreed - Source itself perhaps will evolve very slowly
- but you point out can have interfaces extending
Source that become the common denominator over time.

Oops my bad - yes you are right - I didn't mean to say
what the models need but did end up saying that:-(.

It would be useful to come up with common abstractions
as you mention - But here again the key to me is I
like starting with things underspecified and then
build more common and more useful abstractions. if
Source had defined a heavy interface (which was not
agonistic of the models, etc) then that to me would
have been even worse.

Surely it underspecifies in my mind and defines a very
low common denominator - but this allows us to build
on top of it better layers or abstraction. Surely
DOMSource would not have been acceptable for other
models.

Till we find the right tradeoffs and an abstraction
that is acceptable to all - it is best not to dictate
- which of course means till then you have to know
whether it is a DOMSource, JDOMSource, etc - but that
to me is better than saying I will go with DOMSource
and then everybody else contort themselves to fit what
I specify.

prakash