   RE: [xml-dev] Transmitting XML between different applications

> Hello Mr. Kay,
> When you say "the best serialization format for XML
> documents is... XML" , what do you mean? I understand,
> that serialization means - encoding of objects into a
> stream of bytes which can be transmitted over the
> wire. Serialization is essentialy used for lightweight
> persistence and for communication via sockets or RMI.

I mean that the best practical way of encoding an XML document as a stream
of bytes for transmission over the wire is probably not to encode it at all,
i.e. send the XML document as is.

(Of course there may be better ways in particular cases, see the binary XML
permathread; but a Java serialization of a DOM is unlikely to be such a
candidate.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/