   X3D Midi Sensor Node

I apologize in advance for cross-post and to those
who aren't interested in 3D stuff or artistic
applications of XML.

But... some of you are experimental musicians.
The guys at Yumatech have implemented something
cool in the new release of the open source Xj3D:  a
midi sensor node for the real-time 3D application.
This is one of those bits that is new enough to be
fun.

In the example below, Alan uses the curly instead
of the pointy syntax, but that's just syntax. It
works for XML too.  If you have questions, take
them to the X3D Public list.

This is what I love about open source.  They do the
stuff no one has yet thought about making a buck
off of, so it really is virgin, like 50's rock.

Gad.  We must get some of this to XML 2005.

len

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>There are lots of independent music artist sites out there.
>I absolutely agree that these should be combined with X3D
>stores, spatial compositions, podcasts, and synth controls.
>The Jewels of Indra site is provocative and edgy.   I'd
>love to contribute music to that but my guess is that so
>would a few million other musicians.

I haven't pushed this much but Xj3D supports MIDI input and output.  I
got a Edirol, PCR-30 keyboard and mapped its functions into the X3D
scene.  I'd love it if others played with this.  Here is the node signature.

MidiSensor : X3DMidiDeviceSensorNode {
  MFInt32  [in]    outputChannel
  MFInt32  [in]    outputCommand
  MFInt32  [in]    outputData1
  MFInt32  [in]    outputData2
  SFNode   [in,out] metadata NULL [X3DMetadataObject]
  SFString [in,out] name ""
  SFBool   [out]    isActive
  MFString [out]    available
  MFInt32  [out]    inputChannel
  MFInt32  [out]    inputCommand
  MFInt32  [out]    inputData1
  MFInt32  [out]    inputData2

http://www.xj3d.org/extensions/device.html#MidiSensor

I didn't test it for the M10 release so if I broke something tell me and
I'll fix it up.

I'm hoping some combinations of live theather / concert performances
with projectors and X3D come about.  Midi triggers for content changes
would be fun.

This is also going into our general IO component for Ammendment 2 of X3D.